UN-Breeching the 870 model 81198 Breecher Choke Tube

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
leid
New Shotgunner

UN-Breeching the 870 model 81198 Breecher Choke Tube

Post by leid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Howdy guys,
Like most everybody else, I initially thought I would have no use at all for the obnoxious Breecher choke tube that comes from the factory on their 870 model 81198. But I decided to test some Federal LE1321B FliteControl loads out of it just to see if the tube was of value. To my surprise, it patterned that #1 buckshot load extremely well at 25yds. I did not bother with pics because the FliteControl wad was going thru the middle of the pattern on the target. But pattern size at 25yds. was approx. the size of my XL fist. It also grouped Federal LEB127LRS "TruBall" slugs very well at 50yds. So I decided I liked the extended choke tube very much but those super-sharp breecher teeth had no place on the end of this 870. Long story short, I introduced the breecher teeth to my grinder. Afterwards, I tried blueing the end of the choke tube with Brownells Oxpho-Blue with no success at all. It must be made out of SS. So it got painted flat black along with the rest of the exterior of this 870 for corrosion resistance. This 870 model 81198 is turning out to be a very useful 12GA. tool. .02

NRA Life Member/Texas Law Shield
B737: Retirement Looming!

Vitaly
Owner

Re: UN-Breeching the 870 model 81198 Breecher Choke Tube

Post by Vitaly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Nice, could you please make a close-up photo of the Breecher choke tube?
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

leid
New Shotgunner

Re: UN-Breeching the 870 model 81198 Breecher Choke Tube

Post by leid » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:18 pm

You bet. The choke tube itself is a winner with the Federal LE #1 buckshot FliteControl load. But why REM went with the Breecher design is beyond me. JMO, but I think the ported choke tube does help with very heavy recoil loads like the 3" Brenneke Dangerous Game slugs I carry when fishing up in AK or the Federal 3" FliteControl #4 Buckshot loads that work so well on predators/varmints/etc. I fired a few Brenneke slugs just to verify the XS peep sight was adjusted for them as well. Not surprisingly, the very next thing I did was start looking for a recoil pad upgrade. A LimbSaver 10101 Precision Fit recoil pad has now been installed. HTH

NRA Life Member/Texas Law Shield
B737: Retirement Looming!