Remington Express bead

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
olywa

Remington Express bead

Post by olywa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:42 pm

I just ordered the 18" Remington Express barrel with front bead for my 870 Express. Can anyone tell me definitively whether that bead is press-in or screw-in?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

olywa

Re: Remington Express bead

Post by olywa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:47 pm

I'd like to put one of these on it. I just wasn't sure how many corners Remington was cutting on these Express barrels in order to keep costs down.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:07 am

I think most 870 beads are press-in rather than screw-in, regardless of the product line they're dressed for. Not many folks change them, and screws have more of a a tendency to come loose. In any case, I'm pretty sure all Express barrels have press-in beads. A good gunsmith shouldn't have much trouble getting it out and drilling & tapping the hole for a screw-in bead, though.

What front sight unit is that? It looks like you'll need to remove the entire sight pedestal, not just the bead (at least, I don't see a sight base in that picture). Can you simply attach it behind the existing sight instead?

olywa

Post by olywa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:28 am

It's a Hi-Viz Tactical. The description is a little fuzzy but I inferred that it used the hole from a screw in bead. I believe it comes with several different thread screws to match different manufacturers barrels.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:03 am

I'm having trouble finding a match on HiViz's website. Do you know which one it is specifically?

One potential problem I foresee if this is meant to be a "universal" sight that is screwed into the bead sight threads, is that many shotgun front beads attach directly to the barrel, while those currently used on 18/18.5" 870 barrels are on a pedestal to better line up with the top of the receiver.

kcpanages
Shotgunner

Post by kcpanages » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 am

If it doesn't have a vented rib, it's pressed in... The newer sight (fiber optic from Remington) is screwed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olywa

Post by olywa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:56 am

Yup, my barrel has the pedestal. I wasn't sure, and still aren't, whether the bead was pressed in to the pedestal or screwed in to it.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:03 am

My money's on pressed-in.

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I am in the process of getting a new front sights for my 20-ga REM870.
I chose the Spitfire front sight but it requires removal of the Bead Pedestal before installing, not an easy thing for a novice or anyone that has not performed this task before and the possibility of heat damage to the barrel is high, something I will not try !

Once I get it I need to find a local Gun Smith and see if one of two things can be done:
1) Modify the SplitFire Front Sight Pedestal to fit over the existing REM Bead pedestal.
or
2) Removal of the Pedestal and install the Stub Pedestal Sights.

Need to determine which is more cost effective !
20-ga REM870, light weight Home Defense !

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Ask your gunsmith. Removing the factory pedestal is probably going to be a more straightforward and familiar procedure, but it does mean that you'll be stuck without a front sight if you ever decide to take the aftermarket one off. Modifying the sight may be a less risky choice even if it takes a little more work.