20 ga Heatshields

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

20 ga Heatshields

Post by NnF000 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:27 am

I read two pages of Threads looking for something on 20 ga Heat-shields !
I just purchased a 20 ga 870 Express Compact and want to add a few accessories to here.
I have been looking on the Web and Local Shops trying to find a Heat-Shield, a compact front Tri-Rail and a Sight System without success.

Does anyone know if ATI makes their Halo Heat-Shield for a 20 ga gun ?
Also, anyone with a 20 ga and accessories similar to what I am wanting to buy, please post with a site or contact for the piece.

Thanks a head of time for any info.
20-ga REM870, light weight Home Defense !

Vitaly
Owner

Re: 20 ga Heatshields

Post by Vitaly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:12 am

I have just searched Brownells and found this heatshield: http://tinyurl.com/gr7pmcw
heatshield_20ga_remington870.jpg
Heatshield for 20 gauge Remington 870
heatshield_20ga_remington870.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
They say "Fits Most 12, 16, 20 Gauge and .410 pump shotgun barrels"

Personally, I don't like such sights but you can try it.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Thks for that !
I saw that one and wasn’t too happy with the idea of Stamped Steel…
was hoping for one of the newer ATI Composite Pieces but have not been able to locate a 20 ga version.
Thanks and will give this one another look but without the sights; didn’t like them myself !

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:16 pm

Why is there not a few different types of Heat-Shields for 20 ga Shotguns ?

Doesn’t make a lot of sense, the 20 ga is becoming a good HD weapon and tactical accessories are needed for them too !

Does anyone know of anything out there ?

I like the ATI Halo Standard Version, but only for the 12 ga., still a decent looking unit.
The Aluminum Units from Mesa are nice but again only for the 12 ga.
All in all… we the 20 ga owners are screwed untill ATI or Mesa Products pick up on the 20 ga market !

Thks for listening.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:09 pm

NnF000 wrote: Why is there not a few different types of Heat-Shields for 20 ga Shotguns ?

Doesn’t make a lot of sense, the 20 ga is becoming a good HD weapon and tactical accessories are needed for them too !
Because heat shields aren't tactical, they're tacti-cool. Your classic trench shotguns had heat shields in case soldiers needed to throw a bayonet on and get "personal" after running dozens of shells through the barrel. For HD, you're unlikely to even empty your magazine once, and who keeps a bayonet on their bedside gun? Outside of the military, heat shields only really have a practical application on heavily-used range toys, which are usually 12ga for the "cred", and/or the cheaper and more widely-available ammo.

With 20ga 870s, there are a workable number of options for practical defensive add-ons like shell carriers, lights, magazine extensions, and various-length/adjustable stocks. If you want a range toy shotgun that's weighed down with things like AR-15 stocks, quad-rails, bayonets, or heat shields just to make it look cool, stick with the 12.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Synchronizor is 100% correct, but even on a 12 GA, heat shields can be a problem.

I've played around with heat shield on shotguns in the past and found the only non military trench gun heat shields that are worth a crap are the Mossberg made shields. The biggest problem you will encounter is they will not stay in place on the barrel. They WILL slide forward under recoil with Buck shot and slugs. Even the Mossberg shield will slide on non Mossberg guns. This happens because Remington 870 and other non trench gun barrels are tapered. Mossberg solved this problem on the 500/590 with a plastic lug that mounts on the bottom of shield with the clamp screws and runs from the shield to the front barrel mount.

not my pictures.

I got one to stay in place on my SBS 870 12ga by mounting the barrel in a lathe and turning the front couple of inches straight giving the clamp a good surface to bite into. I sold that barrel on AR15.com a few years ago. I do have a heat shield and bayonet adapter on a 1300 Winchester, but it is a range toy.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:51 am

Thks Banshee, a great idea with that Spacer, I will remember it when I attempt to build my own.