Archangel doesn't allow forend to retract completely

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Jmf78

Archangel doesn't allow forend to retract completely

Post by Jmf78 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 am

I just placed an Archangel 7 round shell holder on my girlfriends 870 with stock forend and now the forend won't fully retract. Is this to be expected? Do I ned to get a shorter forend for the gun to function properly with this addition? I'm new to shotguns so I'm learning as I go.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Archangel doesn't allow forend to retract completely

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 am

High-capacity sidesaddles can interfere with longer fore-ends. One alternative to buying a short fore-end designed to fit police cruiser racks is to simply cut the existing one a bit shorter, just enough to keep it from hitting the sidesaddle. This saves you some money, and allows you to keep as much of the fore-end's length as possible. A long fore-end gives the user more real estate to grab onto, reduces the chances of a hand slipping off during cycling, and can make a shotgun more comfortable for smaller-statured shooters to hold.

Jmf78

Re: Archangel doesn't allow forend to retract completely

Post by Jmf78 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I figured cutting back the forend would be one option. I may look into that a bit more. I may also look into replacing the forend in case I mess the stock one up.

Thanks again.