870 tactical factory upgrades

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
t-bone870

870 tactical factory upgrades

Post by t-bone870 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Does the 870 tactical w/ 6 round mag come w/ any upgrades in trigger group or bolt?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 tactical factory upgrades

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 am

What "upgrades" are you thinking of?

All 870s use the same design and nearly all the same parts for the bolt & trigger (the only major departure is the Marine Magnum, which uses parts that have special harsh-environment coatings, but are otherwise the same). There are some differences in spring weights and materials here and there when you compare certain models, and you'll find some design differences if you're looking at certain older 870s, but everything still works the same way, and if you're using your Express for HD or a tactical-type range toy, it should be fine as-is.

t-bone870

Post by t-bone870 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks for your quick response, love your videos!!!
I was thinking specifically about the carrier dog spring and non-MIM extractor.
I guess that leads to another question what makes it "tactical" just the extended mag tube ??

Thanks again for your response

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:30 pm

"Tactical" is in the eye of the beholder. If I could go back in time 20 years or so and give myself some advice, it would be to buy a factory stock 870, the school's ammo requirements, and enroll in a quality shotgun school. After school is over, you'll have an understanding of what works best for you and what does not, as well as how you want to configure your shotgun. Perhaps you'll even decide to sell the shotgun you bought for school and buy a different one. Trying to build a "tactical" shotgun without training and experience is an exercise in futility. My two cents -- avoid too many accessories. Keep it light and simple. More is not necessarily better. Generally speaking, I wish I had spent less money on gear and gadgets and more money on ammunition and training.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:32 am

t-bone870 wrote:I was thinking specifically about the carrier dog spring and non-MIM extractor.
An Express Tactical will have a standard heavy carrier dog follower spring, part #F17415. Perfectly reliable, and it won't cause extra friction in the action. If you shoot hundreds of shells a week, you could consider the stiffer 1100 carrier latch spring, or just replace the carrier dog follower spring every few years if you want to keep the action smooth. For most folks though, the original carrier dog follower spring will run for decades without any problems.

An Express Tactical will come with a MIM extractor. MIM extractors are fine, I've used the same one in my gun since I bought the thing, I've even switched it over to the chrome bolt I put in my gun, and it does what it's supposed to. MIM parts aren't your granddaddy's powder-cast, they're virtually identical to wrought alloys if made properly (and Remington knows how to do that), and they're more consistent since they all come out of the same mold. Machined extractors are theoretically less likely to have internal defects, but they also have wider tolerances and may need fitting during installation, and sometimes machining steps even get left out during their manufacture. Go with whichever part you trust to work, I guess, but unless your MIM extractor is slipping off shell rims, you shouldn't need to replace it.
t-bone870 wrote:I guess that leads to another question what makes it "tactical" just the extended mag tube ??
As far as the 870 line goes, a model is "Tactical" if it's configured for combat/defense rather than hunting or sporting. The one feature all Tactical models have in common is a short barrel that doesn't have sporting sights like a vent-rib or a scope. Most of these come with extended magazine tubes or magazine extensions, but there are some with basic 4+1 capacities as well.