SS VT Barrel Doesn't Fit Express Tactical

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Kindrat

SS VT Barrel Doesn't Fit Express Tactical

Post by Kindrat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:10 am

I've tried the SS VT barrel (http://ibis.net.ua/store/published/publ ... 500137.jpg) on the Express Tactical (http://www.impactguns.com/Data/Default/ ... 077_bb.jpg), but it doesn't fit due to the differnce in barrel ring mount length. The SS VT barrel ring mount is more closer the receiver. Maybe there is some extension tubes or some other solution? Is there any way to fix that?

Kindrat

Re: SS VT Barrel Doesn't Fit Express Tactical

Post by Kindrat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:11 am

I've got the response from Remington support:
You need the "870 Tactical Spacer" which is part# F402819. This spacer will allow for Tactical 870 Shotguns with a fixed extended magazine to utilize standard 870 Extra Barrels. Spacer slides over mag tube filling the void between the barrel guide ring and magazine cap. This part will be selling for $21.95 but it is currently on backorder.

I don't have a picture of it but it is basically just a spacer to fill the void between the barrel guide ring and magazine cap. It was designed for guns like yours so that you can install a longer barrel.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: SS VT Barrel Doesn't Fit Express Tactical

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:00 am

Some Express Tactical models use special magazine tubes to provide the capacity you'd normally get by adding a +2 magazine extension to a standard 870, without the added cost, weight, or complexity. Unfortunately, this means that you can't drop standard 870 barrels onto these specialized receivers; your choices are limited to a selection of 18.5" barrels with guide rings set farther forward.

These long-mag Tactical models are good if you want a dedicated defensive shotgun, but not if you want a defensive gun that can be reconfigured for other applications. If you want a multi-purpose 870, you'd be much better off building on a standard receiver.

It's interesting to hear that Remington is coming out with a spacer to allow standard barrels to be used with Tactical receivers. It'll probably make for a pretty nose-heavy hunting or clays gun, but for someone who just wants to play around at the trap range occasionally, it'll at least be a straightforward solution. If you really want to get into hunting or sport shooting seriously, however, I would recommend trading your Tactical model in for a standard 870, or getting a second gun.