Upgraded trigger guard

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
stubag7

Upgraded trigger guard

Post by stubag7 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I do a lot of waterfowl hunting and can't seem to find any upgrades on larger trigger guards which allow thicker gloves to be used. Any thoughts or suggestions? Much appreciated.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Upgraded trigger guard

Post by Chief Brody » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:46 am

Sorry to say, I've not heard of any larger, aftermarket trigger guards.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Upgraded trigger guard

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:32 am

The trigger guard on an 870 is an integral part of the trigger plate, which is what all the little bits & pieces of the gun's trigger mechanism attach to. This makes it a pretty complex part, which is why Remington has only made them out of molded plastic or powder-cast aluminum, and why you don't really see aftermarket trigger plates being sold.

In addition, if you cut an 870 trigger plate in half, you'd see that there's a reason the 870's trigger guard has its characteristic shape. The solid section right in front of the trigger opening houses the hammer spring & plunger, and the safety mechanism sits right behind the trigger. So, even if someone did make an aftermarket trigger plate, they'd have a hard time really enlarging the space around the trigger without making changes to other elements of the 870's fire control.
870 action _C_trigger.JPG
870 action _C_trigger.JPG (57.84 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
My advice would be to try thinner gloves, gloves with removable fingers, or taking your gloves off to shoot.