1990 3" 12 gauge express rebuild

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
HOGWlLD
New Shotgunner

1990 3" 12 gauge express rebuild

Post by HOGWlLD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Ok...i have a 90' model express I'm refubishing. I am wanting to replace everything I can with wingmaster springs and parts minus the barrel. Im thinking this should be a very simple deal but is there anything I need to know about what I'm trying to do? Im certain this has been done many times before so if anyone has any info thatd be helpful i'd greatly appreciate your help. Haven't decided yet if ill changed the whole trigger assembly or not. Don't really know if there's any difference in the two besides the springs.

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Re: 1990 3" 12 gauge express rebuild

Post by aegusto » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Just my opinion, but I much prefer the new polymer trigger group to the old aluminum (?) one.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:03 am

Pretty much all the internal springs and other parts are the same for all 12ga 870s made since 1990. The sear spring weight can vary depending on what the gun is set up for (light for clay guns, heavy for combat models, medium for general-purpose use), and the carrier dog follower spring is heavier in Police models for a specific reason that doesn't apply as much to sporting guns, but apart from that everything else is pretty much the same. The only real Wingmaster-specific parts in the trigger plate assembly (aside from the trigger plate itself, and I'm with Aegusto on preferring the plastic trigger plates over the old aluminum ones) are the carrier and the trigger itself, and those are essentially just different colors than the Express equivalents. All other replacement trigger parts are going to be the same, so there's not much point in changing them out unless they actually need to be replaced. The same goes for the small parts in the bolt & magazine.

If you really have a hankering to upgrade, you could look at Marine Magnum parts, which use more corrosion-resistant finishes or materials.

HOGWlLD
New Shotgunner

Post by HOGWlLD » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Ok..thanks for the info.