870 12ga Extended Cylinder Choke

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
spcsys

870 12ga Extended Cylinder Choke

Post by spcsys » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

I am looking for an extended choke with cylinder constriction for an 870T which came with the factory breacher choke. I was curious if anyone is familiar with a similar extended choke without the aggressive breaching teeth on the end? I definitely want extended as I am currently using a factory flush IC choke. The porting on the entended choke would be nice but not necessary. I would also be willing to go with IC over cylinder if that were the only option for an extended choke for a HD 870. Thanks for any ideas you all have.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 12ga Extended Cylinder Choke

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Is there a reason you want to stick with Cylinder, rather than something easier to find like Skeet or IC?

Briley and Carlson's (scroll down to the Sporting Clays chokes) both offer extended Cylinder Rem Choke tubes. I wouldn't bother with porting; it won't have any meaningful impact on recoil, and those ports can screw with the performance of some buckshot loads.

spcsys

Post by spcsys » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:07 am

Thanks for the reply, I don't recall getting an email about having received a response, sorry for the delay!

I don't think there is any real reason to stick with cylinder, just an idea I suppose to keep the same look which really isn't a high priority. I really don't need the porting either but an extended choke would be nice to give the muzzle some stand off in the unlikely event it came into contact with something that could scratch it; would rather scratch a $45 briley tube than the barrel as the iron sighted rem-choke barrels are pricey.

Thanks for your suggestions! Apparently there is not a less aggressive but similar looking alternative or someone would have probably known and said something.

Sean

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:12 am

spcsys wrote:Thanks for your suggestions! Apparently there is not a less aggressive but similar looking alternative or someone would have probably known and said something.
What do you mean by that?

Since I posted in here earlier, I found a Carlson's extended cylinder choke tube on Ebay for a good price. Was this what you meant by "a similar extended choke without the aggressive breaching teeth on the end", or was I misunderstanding you?
IMG_0172_C.JPG
IMG_0172_C.JPG (63.5 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
IMG_0170_C.JPG
IMG_0170_C.JPG (79.3 KiB) Viewed 3439 times

NnF000
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by NnF000 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Kicks
http://www.kicks-ind.com/product/HFRem20g.html
this is the 20 ga but the 12 ga is there too.

Down and Dirty
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Down-N-Dirty-Ha ... 25b7bd65da

The Kicks Site uses yardage as the determining factor for the size of restriction, i.e. 0-15 yds, 15 to 35 yds, etc.
The Down and Dirty Site used measurements in thousandths of an inch.
Both sites have names on their Chokes similar to this Sites info pages.

These are the two I liked, they had 20 ga and 12 ga versions.
If you don’t see it ask them through their contact pages.

Although I am new I noticed there are four or five different sizes for a Choke, from Cylinder Bore size to Full Choke, all depends on the use and how far you want the shot to have an impact. I was thinking the Improved Cylinder Bore is approximately .010” restricted, not too much from a measurement stand point but it increases impact distance by 10 to 15 yards to approximately 35 yards.

Sorry if this is old info, when I am trying to learn I find it better to share info to help drive the info home.
20-ga REM870, light weight Home Defense !