Which stocks. Soooo many

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
my98hawk
New Shotgunner

Which stocks. Soooo many

Post by my98hawk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:23 am

I'm sure this has been beat to death. I'm well aware of the search function. I'm new to 870 ownership, just bought a tactical today. There are just so many stocks to choose from. I'd be happy with the oem stock for awhile but I bought it mainly for a home defense gun. My wife needs to be comfortable with it. I'm 6'3 and she's 5'4 with a small frame. Adjustability and recoil reducing are what I'm looking for. I've been all over looking but it helps to hear from those that have experience with different ones. I was looking at the ATI. It looks like a nice piece. She is very comfy with my AR's so something that feels AR'ish should be ok. Just looking to see what everybody likes and why.
Thanks in advance

my98hawk
New Shotgunner

Re: Which stocks. Soooo many

Post by my98hawk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:39 am

Really? No suggestions?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 am

Are you specifically looking for something with an active recoil-reducing system? Really, if the stock fits, a good recoil pad and proper shooting technique should easily be enough to keep a shotgun controllable - especially with express or low-recoil defensive loads.

There are plenty of AR-style adjustable stocks to choose from for the 870. I prefer the ergonomics and maneuverability of a traditional semi-grip stock on a defensive shotgun, but if you and your wife are accustomed to the handling of AR-15s, it could be a good way to go. If you can't find a complete package you like, there are also adapters that let you put together whatever grip/buffer tube/stock combination floats your boat. One advantage with this is that you have the option to use either standard fixed buffer tubes, or a hydraulic/spring loaded recoil-absorbing tube, if you feel you really need it. I don't have first-hand experience with any of these , but folks in the gun community whose opinion I respect have said good things about the offerings from Mesa Tactical and Mako/Fab Defense.

my98hawk
New Shotgunner

Post by my98hawk » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:18 am

I grew up hunting and hadn't shot a pistol grip shotgun until recently and i am fine with the oem stock. Its mod for her, Im fine with almost anything. Im taking her to the range tomorrow to see if she can get comforatable the oem stock. If not, I will def look into the ones you listed. Thanks for the Advise.

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:08 pm

A good choice that would suit you and your wife is the Mesa Tactical Urbino Pistol Grip Stock. It is fixed at 12.5", but i's very comfortable, strong and even recoil reducing. It has a rubberized pistol grip, adjustable cheekpiece and a Limbsaver buttpad. Very good Stock for the 870! I'm 5'10' and it works fine for me; should be good for your wife as well. Something to think about anyway. Check it out...
Defensor Fortis!

ennis1988

Post by ennis1988 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:38 am

everyone in my family has a knoxx SpecOps stock and we all like them for the adjustable LOP. you can get them in recoil reducing or not.
PERVINCO ACROCERAUNIA

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:49 am

ennis1988 wrote:everyone in my family has a knoxx SpecOps stock and we all like them for the adjustable LOP. you can get them in recoil reducing or not.
Not for the Mesa tactical Urbino, no that is a fixed LOP (12.5"). The ATI T2 Pistol grip stock is 6 position and pretty nice too, and costs about the same as the Knoxx Spec Ops. You may want to look at that before you make your mind up. I just thought i'd share a few options of dependable stocks in a similar price range.

Here's a video featuring the ATI T2.
https://youtu.be/TfSKniO20vg?list=PLiNC ... jOLszmE4IM
Defensor Fortis!

Scattered
New Shotgunner

Post by Scattered » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:40 pm

@my98hawk: FWIW I bought the Mesa Tactical LEO adjustable stock with the Enidine hydraulic recoil buffer in part because I wanted my wife to be able to fire the weapon and not be afraid of it hurting her.

What I found was after firing a total of 10 rounds of a variety of shells (small bird shot all the way up to slugs) I had a sore spot on my hand.

Here's a picture of my hand the next day. A picture is worth a thousand words, eh?
Mesa Tactical Bruse Caused By.png
Mesa Tactical Bruse Caused By.png (425.3 KiB) Viewed 7323 times

I can't figure out how to post a 2nd picture of the stock so I'll put that in another message.

Here's a link to a thread on the Mesa Tactical website where this issue is discussed. Their fix for the problem is to put shrink tubing over the area which causes the brusing.
http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewt ... 3177#p3177
Last edited by Scattered on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scattered
New Shotgunner

Mesa Tactical LEO with the Enidine hydraulic recoil buffer

Post by Scattered » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:48 pm

@my98hawk

In October of 2013 a person from Mesa Tactical posted the following: "...It was to cover up some of the sharp edges on the receiver adapter. We are going to be smoothing that area out on the new adapters...."
http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewt ... 3177#p3177

So perhaps by now the problem has been resolved. Then again, there's always shrink tubing. :twisted:

Here's a picture of the stock that was "biting" me. The area in question is the transition (lip) from the area where the green arrow is pointing up to the level where the red arrow is pointing.
Mesa Tactical Shotgun Stock.png
Mesa Tactical Shotgun Stock.png (305.25 KiB) Viewed 7321 times

Best of luck.

AF Shooter
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by AF Shooter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Here is another 6 position stock, also made by ATI. This one has my interest peaked, i'm considering buying this for my shotgun.I like the angle of this one, and i love the adjustable cheekrest It is a varient of the T2, but looks and sounds like a better stock setup, looks good too. :D Btw, these ATI Talon stocks do reduce recoil via their Scorpion recoil pads, as well as the material the pistol grip itself is made of. Amazon has a good deal right now on these stocks. They include the forend and a single point paracord all for $119.00. They come in black, desert tan and stealth grey.

http://www.atigunstocks.com
Defensor Fortis!