Best aftermarket follower - S&J?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
12GAfun
Super Shotgunner

Re: Best aftermarket follower - S&J?

Post by 12GAfun » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:43 am

So far love mine, that S&J follower works great on either one of my Mag tube kits. I currently got the Remington kit on it now, took off the Cholate +3 due to there coating melted off when shooting and looks like crap, I am not sure what happen with the Cholate mag tube kits parkerized coating but it is almost all gone.

Nat_usp
Shotgunner

Post by Nat_usp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Banshee wrote:
Nat_usp wrote:I live in Thailand. ^_^
I finely got around to making a couple of followers like yours.

:D :D :D

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Looks like it could be a good follower, though I'd rather have it be made out of polymer rather than metal.

Nat_usp
Shotgunner

Post by Nat_usp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:56 am

Synchronizor wrote: Looks like it could be a good follower, though I'd rather have it be made out of polymer rather than metal.

super lene ( Nylon 6, Nylon 6/6 )

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:40 am

Nylon would be a pretty good material, though I'd personally prefer an acetal homopolymer instead. Acetal has very similar mechanical properties to Nylon 6/6, but it has a lower friction coefficient and isn't sensitive to water or humidity.

MDS Nylon 66 vs PTFE Delrin.PNG
Click for source
MDS Nylon 66 vs PTFE Delrin.PNG (17.7 KiB) Viewed 5744 times

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:25 am

They are Millions of 870s with steel followers. Steel followers couldn't be any harder on the gun than the brass plated steel caseheads.
Last edited by Banshee on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Nat_usp
Shotgunner

Post by Nat_usp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 am

Nylon was deform after used 2 month.
Attachments
follower.jpg
follower.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 5734 times

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:59 am

Banshee wrote:They are Millions of 870s with steel followers. Steel followers couldn't be any harder on the gun than the brass plated steel caseheads.
But the shells don't hammer on the portion of the receiver that stops the follower when the magazine is empty. That's the part I'm worried about damaging with a hard, high-mass steel follower. To be fair, it would take a lot of use for a steel follower to appreciably damage that follower stop. Few HD or range toy 870s will ever see those kinds of round counts, so if a high-dollar steel follower lets someone sleep better at night or satisfies their itch for tinkering or customizing, no real harm done.

Personally though, I'll stick with polymers. If something's going to wear out eventually, I'd rather it be an unrestricted $5 - $15 follower than a serialized $275 - $300 receiver. In addition, polymers have less friction and inertia than steel, which improves feed reliability, and polymer followers are far easier to modify if needed (shortening a tail, adding slots for dimpled magazine tubes, etc).

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Banshee wrote:They are Millions of 870s with steel followers. Steel followers couldn't be any harder on the gun than the brass plated steel caseheads.
But the shells don't hammer on the portion of the receiver that stops the follower when the magazine is empty. That's the part I'm worried about damaging with a hard, high-mass steel follower. To be fair, it would take a lot of use for a steel follower to appreciably damage that follower stop. Few HD or range toy 870s will ever see those kinds of round counts, so if a high-dollar steel follower lets someone sleep better at night or satisfies their itch for tinkering or customizing, no real harm done.

Personally though, I'll stick with polymers. If something's going to wear out eventually, I'd rather it be an unrestricted $5 - $15 follower than a serialized $275 - $300 receiver. In addition, polymers have less friction and inertia than steel, which improves feed reliability, and polymer followers are far easier to modify if needed (shortening a tail, adding slots for dimpled magazine tubes, etc).
Have you ever seen one receiver damaged by the follower?
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

12GAfun
Super Shotgunner

Post by 12GAfun » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

I like my S&J Follower in my 870, it really works great with extended mag tube kits. I had this Remington mag tube kit and it would not feed correctly or wouldn't allow me to load all the shells into the tube. I tried several other types of followers out there and even tried another tube kit and still had issues, until I got this S&J little green follower and it works great.