Looking for Input for a +2 Magazine Extensions Review

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Looking for Input for a +2 Magazine Extensions Review

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm currently working on a detailed, comparative review of three popular +2 magazine extensions for the 870: the factory Remington +2, the Vang Comp +2, and the Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech +2.
IMG_2146_C1S1.JPG
Left to right, Remington, Vang Comp, Wilson Combat/Scattergun
IMG_2146_C1S1.JPG (62.69 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
While I'm still in the T&E phase, I figured I'd give y'all an opportunity to chime in. If you've used any of these extensions (including +1 or +3 variants), please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

Why did you choose the extension(s) you did? Have you had any problems that I should try to replicate? Any quality issues with the finishing, machining, or workmanship? How well do their respective sling mounts work with your build and for your purposes? Any difficulties during installation (besides removing magazine tube dimples)? Anything you think the designers should have done differently? Are there any mods you would recommend?

If the version of your extension is different from the ones pictured, of if you use different springs, followers, or other parts, please specify.

Thanks in advance.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Looking for Input for a +2 Magazine Extensions Review

Post by Chief Brody » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:18 am

I installed Remington's parkerized 2-shot extension on my 870 Police Magnum. The retailer I purchased from did not provide a new magazine spring, so I ordered a Wilson Combat spring and then added the S&J Hardware hi-vis delrin follower.

After about two years with this setup, I'm still happy with the parts I chose. The finish has held up great, and it was/is a perfect match for the parked finish on the shotgun. Remington's extension is the only available option (that I know of) that has a means of fixing a clamp in its position. The clamp's screw goes through the groove on the extension tube, preventing the clamp from sliding on the tube as a result of firing the gun. The clamp has a sling swivel built in, one less thing to worry about. In my opinion, the sling plates that are available aftermarket look too sharp and bulky. Also, this extension tube is designed to accept a bayonet (if you have the mount for one), I have not yet tried this.

A friend of mine recently took delivery of a new 870 Police Magnum, factory 2 shot extension already installed. I showed him how to take it apart and clean it before shooting it for the first time. We disassembled mine at the same time and discovered that his magazine spring was quite a bit smaller in diameter than the Wilson spring from my 870P. Not only that, but loading the sixth shell into the mag didn't feel nearly as smooth as it should. It felt as if the spring was really binding up inside the magazine tube. He contacted Remington, they sent another spring - and it was identical to the one he already had. Then he ordered a Wilson Combat spring and the problem was solved. I've never heard of this issue with a magazine spring before or since.

If I were in the market today for a new 870 magazine extension, there's a good chance I would repeat my original choices. I'm happy with the fit, finish, and design of Remington's offering - and I'm happy to add a Remington part to a Remington firearm.

Hope this helps,
Steve

PS: The photo of the three extensions in the OP reminded of one more thing - Remington's extension is the only one that actually comes with a clamp. One less thing to shop around for :)

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:57 am

The Remington extension springs are narrower in order to ensure that they'll fit inside the Remington cup-style follower and bayonet end cap, and pass through the constriction of the follower stop/clamp retaining groove without hanging up. The wider Wilson Combat springs are intended to be used with solid-bodied, tailed followers like the WC part or the S&J Type 1 & 2 (which are far superior in quality and function, if you ask me), and the WC +2 extensions are straight tubes inside with no constriction points.

The Wilson Combat springs will work in Remington extensions though, even though the coils are bigger than the interior constrictions. It's not too tough to pop the coils past the follower stop when loading shells (though you can feel or hear them catch if you pay attention), and there's more than enough spring force to push the coils past it the other way during feeding. And the much higher coil pitch used in the WC springs makes up for their fit issues, they can still fit entirely past the follower stops in Remington extension tubes, so there's no loss in capacity.

That's odd that your friend had issues with a Remington spring in a Remington extension though, since those are specifically designed for each other. Was the follower an aftermarket part? What kind of shells was he loading? You'll start running out of room in a Remington +2 if you try loading 6 of anything with a crimped length of more than about 2.55", these extensions were designed for 2.75" military shotshells.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:24 pm

At the time, he had the stock follower. I'm not certain if he's swapped that out for a new one by now. And the ammo we had on hand that day was all 2 3/4" Federal target loads, Rio Royal 00B, and Herter's (Cabela's brand) slugs.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:04 pm

That Rio buck could certainly have been part of the issue. I have some Rio Royal shells, and they're much closer in length to 3" shells thanks to their very shallow roll crimps. They're still 2.75" shells, and no shotgun should have issues cycling and chambering them, but their crimped lengths are longer than SAAMI specs, which can reduce capacity in tube magazines designed for normal 2.75" shells.
IMG_2147_C.JPG
Left to right, Estate 2.75" 00B, Winchester 2.75" 1 1/2oz #4 shot, Remington 2.75" Slugger, Rio Royal 2.75" 00B, and Remington 3" Magnum 00B.
IMG_2147_C.JPG (71.87 KiB) Viewed 8097 times
Also, since your friend's 870 was new, the unbroken spring might have contributed to the loading diffuculties. My Remington extension spring functions perfectly and lets me load all the way to the follower stop without any problems, but I've been using it for years at this point. I do remember having one pretty serious hang-up back when it was newer, but I'm not sure if that was the spring, the aftermarket follower I was trying out, or some combination thereof.

I've been thinking about ordering a brand-new Remington extension spring for this review so I can evaluate the extension's function in an "out of the box" condition. Looks like I should go ahead and do that.

Thanks for the input.

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 pm

I picked up a Rem extension back in the early 80's it was used it is still working. I have several they are so old they are blued . I have another brand for a 20 ga. the barrel nut is one pcs. with the tube and it has never been a problem. One thing about the older tubes the barrel hanger that goes between tube and barrel is different in the way a sling attaches and not as good as the new ones. I replaced it with a new one. I have replaced springs from Remington.

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Guess I should mention that here we have two police supply stores and a ton of gun shops . Competition was heavy back in the 80's and 90's. It was easy to pick up traded in police 870 wingmasters and police magnums for 125 dollars. Then there were the Wingmasters from corrections with 30 inch full choke barrels for the same price. There were always parts in boxes back then for sale cheap.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:51 pm

How are the older sling studs different?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 am

For those who want to contribute, something else that would be helpful and appreciated for this project are measurements of the length of the magazine tube's thread that extends past the barrel guide ring with the barrel seated in the receiver. You don't have to have any of the extensions I'm reviewing, just remove whatever extension or cap your gun has (along with any under-cap sling plates or other accessories), make sure the barrel is fully seated in the receiver, and measure the distance from the front of the barrel guide ring to the end of the magazine tube.
IMG_2161_C1.JPG
IMG_2161_C1.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
I have several barrels that I can measure, and I plan on sampling some 870s in the local gun shops as well, but I could always use more data points. I'm especially interested in measurements for older or nonstandard 870s, 870 clones, and aftermarket 870 barrels.

coyo

Post by coyo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 pm

I just bought a 4 shot 870 Express (18" barrel) and have a 28" on the way (the reason for the 4 shot and not the factory 1-piece 6 shot tube).

I know it's not in your list of 3 that you're testing, but I think that MAYBE the design in 2 of them may cause issues. I bought an ATI aluminium +2 extension (not the fluted one) and learned that 1 piece extension tubes can cause issues if they don't screw all the way down onto the stock mag tube which then leaves a gap in which the follower can jam, which means I have a 5+1 instead of a 6+1. I'm assuming this is why you're asking about the distance from the barrel guide ring to the end of the mag. Mine works flawlessly with the barrel off (so that the extension can screw all the way down onto the mag) but only makes it about half way down the threads with the barrel in place.

I'll try to remember to get the measurement you're looking for when I get a chance.

AFAIK both the Wilson and the Vang are 1 piece and could have this issue. The Remmy extension is 2 piece, as is the Nordic Components and from what I've NOW learned, the better design to go with.

$50 for a very long +1.
Synchronizor wrote:For those who want to contribute, something else that would be helpful and appreciated for this project are measurements of the length of the magazine tube's thread that extends past the barrel guide ring with the barrel seated in the receiver. You don't have to have any of the extensions I'm reviewing, just remove whatever extension or cap your gun has (along with any under-cap sling plates or other accessories), make sure the barrel is fully seated in the receiver, and measure the distance from the front of the barrel guide ring to the end of the magazine tube.
IMG_2161_C1.JPG
I have several barrels that I can measure, and I plan on sampling some 870s in the local gun shops as well, but I could always use more data points. I'm especially interested in measurements for older or nonstandard 870s, 870 clones, and aftermarket 870 barrels.