Remington extension problem

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Kingquad700

Re: Remington extension problem

Post by Kingquad700 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:18 am

OK, I installed a rem factory extension +3 on my 870 express. I cannot get 7 rounds in the tube. I followed the advice on the video with no luck. My follower was black instead of the orange one in the video. I read on the blog, that the stock follower is junk. Should I upgrade the follower? Any other suggestions? Loading 2 3/4" shells.
Thanks
Shawn

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by SignessSG » Sat May 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Kingquad700 wrote:OK, I installed a rem factory extension +3 on my 870 express. I cannot get 7 rounds in the tube. I followed the advice on the video with no luck. My follower was black instead of the orange one in the video. I read on the blog, that the stock follower is junk. Should I upgrade the follower? Any other suggestions? Loading 2 3/4" shells.
Thanks
Shawn
Here's a good overview on followers. http://www.rem870.com/2010/03/10/shotgu ... ngton-870/

It can't hurt to upgrade the follower...it is a cheap upgrade.

Did you turn the ends of the spring down and in for a flatter mating to the follower and extension end cap? This can prevent the spring from working around the edge of the follower and causing hangups. I just installed a Nordic extension and follower on my 870; but, the installation of the Nordic is a little different than the Remington OEM kit in that you install the tube extension to the coupler before dropping the follower and spring in. When I put the follower in, I make sure the spring is fully seated inside the follower and push the spring upwards with the muzzle facing down. I figure that will ensure that the spring is fully seated to the follower, then put on the end cap while keeping mild tension on the spring to keep the follower seated at the back of the tube. So far so good; but, I need to pickup more dummy rounds so I can test the spring tension for loading the extension to full capacity and function check. On the Remington kit, you install the spring and follower before the extension tube, and after the coupler is attached to the original magazine, then the tube extension screws onto the coupler while occasionally tapping the tube to ensure the spring isn't getting hung up at the coupling. I've never tried the Remington kit, although I've seen some complaints of the barrel clamp working loose under recoil. It also seems it would be easier to damage / strip the screw head on the Remington clamp if you don't use the correct size flathead.

I gott say, I'm really liking the Nordic setup. The barrel clamp uses 2 hex screws, one from each side, and it gives me the option of adding a P-rail or sling mount onto the clamp. Seems to be a really solid unit.
Remington 870 Police Magnum 12 Gauge
Sig Sauer P220 Carry SAS SAO .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm
Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 Magnum 4"
Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special

12GAfun
Super Shotgunner

Post by 12GAfun » Fri May 16, 2014 6:31 am

I bought the Remington 2+ shot Mag tube Extension Kit and so far it was a utter waste of $50.00 dollars. I wish I could get my money back for this worthless piece of crap. I have tried to install it every way shown in all the install videos that I could find. I even had a gunsmith try to get it to fit on my Rem 870 and every time after the first 7, (6 in tube 1 in chamber at the range) it will not let me load all 6 into the tube, I will get only 4-5 into it. I comes loose every time I shoot it. This is even after using lock tight 242 and even tried the lock tight red, still would loosen the screw on the clamp and then the tube would start to unscrew. At this time it is off my shotgun and setting in a box. I even tried different springs and followers, the follower I have at this time is a GG&G stainless steel follower, I have tried several others by nordic and tacstar also Remington. I had the dimples removed by the same gunsmith that tried to get it to stay on there.

At this time I am at my wits end on this Mag tube extension kit my Remington, all the other reviews I have read it works great as long as installed correctly. Well tried that already did not work. So does anyone out there know of any other kits that will work better than this one. Will take all advice, thank you! I really hate having too spend another $50+ more dollars on another mag tube kit but at this time I can only get 4 in tube +1 in chamber. I have a Remington 870 tactical express you can see my pics in the photo contest on the main site Rem870.com, under 12gafun thank you. I would need a tube that the tacstar tri mount would go onto, its a 1" diameter mount, this is for my flashlight.

Automag
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Automag » Fri May 16, 2014 8:27 am

There are several great mag extensions to choose from; i saw Nordic mentioned (which is a great one) and Tacstar, which i wouldn't use on my gun. One under rated, yet great and trouble free +2 mag ext is Choate! They go on without any problems, tighten well and stay tight. I've used the Choate +2 and +3 versions, and would use again. I'd try that brand, i think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the simplicity and quality of the Choate. I paired it with the Magpul Forward Sling Point/Barrel Clamp, and i'm tellin ya, you'd be set. That's just my opinion, coming from my experience. They're about $40 to $45 bucks. Just don't use their follower. The follower that comes with is too long. The clamp is okay that it comes with. They sell them like crazy at Brownells, and MidwayUSA too.
One more thing, it comes with a very long spring. I cut mine to 21" and it worked fine (6 shells fit fine), but you can always call Brownells or Midway and they would tell ya what length to cut it to. Good luck.
Image Gun Control Means Using Both Hands.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 pm

12GAfun, where did you get your Remington extension? I've heard that some 3rd-party retailers have been selling Remington extension kits with the wrong type of bracket. This could explain both of your problems.

rj5620

Post by rj5620 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Synchronizor wrote:12GAfun, where did you get your Remington extension? I've heard that some 3rd-party retailers have been selling Remington extension kits with the wrong type of bracket. This could explain both of your problems.
Could you use a Nordic clamp on the Rem extension?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 am

Maybe. It would probably depend on the spacing of the barrel being used.