870 Express LH BROKEN

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
SkeetFleet12870

870 Express LH BROKEN

Post by SkeetFleet12870 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm

I have Remington 870 Express Left Handed manufactured 2011. The extractor broke off at the front rivet under normal use, lodged in the trigger group and caused a failure to fire.

For some general background info, the gun probably has between 1,000-2,000 rounds through it, almost entirely clay loads with some 2-3/4" #4 mixed in, and 25 rounds of Remington 3" nitro turkey. The gun has a Magpul stock and fore end but is otherwise completely stock. Has not been meticulously maintained, but definitely has not been abused. I am at a loss for how the extractor, a steel part, cracks and breaks off under normal use. The piece that broke off was lodged in the trigger group and the gun failed to fire. I was shooting clays when it happened. I had just shot two rounds, picked up two clays, and went to shoot and the trigger fell slack. After a field trouble shooting, I removed the trigger group and discovered the broken piece in the trigger group.

Remington Customer Service was contacted and they reminded me that being manufactured in 2011, I was SOL for warranty coverage.
Attachments
IMG_5947.JPG
IMG_5947.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 3812 times

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 870 Express LH BROKEN

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 pm

FYI, that piece is the ejector, not the extractor. The extractor is mounted on the side of the bolt. The ejector or spring usually gets broken by racking the action slightly out of cant, and the bolt rides over the ejector instead of letting it slide thru the groove and compress into that slot. The ejector can be broken by a barrel that isn't set in exactly right and shoots loose. I have a 20-ga waiting repair for the same failure, I just need to get inside and drill off the rivet face and install a new ejector and re-rivet/stake it to the receiver. Brownells has all the tools and parts, and sometimes you can find someone to lend you the rivet cutters since it is a one-use task normally. Or a local gunsmith. It is a DIY task if you have the space and want to buy the tooling, and some experience. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on the task also. Or on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdA1tFQpJRo
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Brownell’s has a tool and ejector kit.

SkeetFleet12870

Post by SkeetFleet12870 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 pm
FYI, that piece is the ejector, not the extractor. The extractor is mounted on the side of the bolt. The ejector or spring usually gets broken by racking the action slightly out of cant, and the bolt rides over the ejector instead of letting it slide thru the groove and compress into that slot. The ejector can be broken by a barrel that isn't set in exactly right and shoots loose. I have a 20-ga waiting repair for the same failure, I just need to get inside and drill off the rivet face and install a new ejector and re-rivet/stake it to the receiver. Brownells has all the tools and parts, and sometimes you can find someone to lend you the rivet cutters since it is a one-use task normally. Or a local gunsmith. It is a DIY task if you have the space and want to buy the tooling, and some experience. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on the task also. Or on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdA1tFQpJRo
Scorpion8,

What should I look for to ensure the barrel is properly seated? Also good catch on the ejector (not extractor), my mistake. I'm surprised to hear this isn't totally rare, although unfortunate that you have the same issue.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:22 pm

SkeetFleet12870 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:48 pm
... although unfortunate that you have the same issue.
It happens, and I guess why Remington decided to rivet the ejector in place instead of making it permanent like a weld or part of the milling procedure. Just make sure the barrel is seated all the way down in place before tightening the magazine tube retainer cap. If the barrel isn't all the way down and you're trying to draw it down by screwing on that cap, it could be misaligned or end up not fully seated. Odd that yours broke at the aft end, normally they break near the barrel cut-out that slips over the ejector.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

SkeetFleet12870

Post by SkeetFleet12870 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:42 am

Scorpion8 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:22 pm

Odd that yours broke at the aft end, normally they break near the barrel cut-out that slips over the ejector.
It did break at the forward end, its a left handed gun. I can see how it's impossible to see that in the picture though.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 am

SkeetFleet12870 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:42 am
It did break at the forward end, its a left handed gun. I can see how it's impossible to see that in the picture though.
I see (!) said the blind man. Yea, sorry I missed that detail, perhaps why there's a "LH" in the title. Duh.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life