appraisal question

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
1911vm870
New Shotgunner

appraisal question

Post by 1911vm870 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 pm

i am planing to sell 2 wingmasters both the old school old lifter style. one is a 28 in wood in great shape the finish has miner pitting . the second one is an actual police 18in barrel the finish is a typical police gun great mechanical but defiantly patina finish no scratches just handled a lot. i know values on new guns but no idea on the older ones . any input will be helpful. thanks

jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: appraisal question

Post by jakebrake » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:14 pm

the biggest way to help You at the moment, is to ask You to post phots.

detailed photos...zoom in on pitting. photos of warts and all. date codes would help. Understand, Your minor pitting is light years from my minor pitting. a gun dealer will try to rook you, since, they have to eat, too. (not a slam at gun shops...just, reality)

also, keep an eye on the big auction site for firearms. You can gat a gauge of what they are going for. just because I want 1200 dollars for my wasr, doesn't mean i'll get it.

understand also, You may not like what You hear. It's not meant to discourage or insult You. One of the guys here is uber knowledgeable on 870's, he may have a better idea than many.

also, geographic area helps. prices ranges go bonkers from one area to the next.

1911vm870
New Shotgunner

Post by 1911vm870 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 pm

I will take pictures when i get home. Thanks and i am in Connecticut.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:55 pm

You're fighting two issues here: One, the 870 has been made in the gazillions, so values are more appropriate to what your area will support. They don't sound like collector's worthy, so in general you can pick up an 870 anywhere from $250-$400. The 28-ga will be more sought after than a typical 12-ga, I'd believe. Second, are you looking to sell locally or anywhere? Peruse GunBroker.com and look at 870's and see if you can find one similar to yours in condition, age, and bling. Is it selling, or has it been on the site for awhile?

PS - I'd be interested in the 28-ga, btw.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!