Balance.

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
SharksFan
Shotgunner

Balance.

Post by SharksFan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Has anyone else found themselves toying with the balance of their 870? One of the first things I ended up doing to mine was swapping out the forend for an aluminum one and filling the light synthetic stock we swapped off of the resident H&R clone with copper coated BB's from our air rifles.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Balance.

Post by Vitaly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 am

SharksFan wrote:Has anyone else found themselves toying with the balance of their 870? One of the first things I ended up doing to mine was swapping out the forend for an aluminum one and filling the light synthetic stock we swapped off of the resident H&R clone with copper coated BB's from our air rifles.
Shark, could you show pics of your shotgun with aluminum forend? Sounds interesting.

I think that it is a good idea to add some weight to the stock, because front part of the Remington 870 is rather heavy, especially when loaded.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

SharksFan
Shotgunner

Post by SharksFan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 am

Will try and take the pictures tomorrow, camera batteries are dead with no spares on-hand. If you want to look it up until then, it's made by Leapers UTG under the designation MNT-HGRM87A. The pictures they have of it don't do justice though. It looks big and bulky but it's quite smaller than the original forend.

Anyway, I'll agree with you there. It made manipulation of the barrel feel much easier having more weight on the back end. Though some seem less inclined to do so. Have had about half the people who have handled it since then complain that it felt overly burdened.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:46 am

Looks good but I never had a chance to test it. Is it comfortable to hold it without gloves?

SharksFan
Shotgunner

Post by SharksFan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 am

Quite comfortable. Thought it might give the "cheese-grater" effect many talk about with uncovered rails, but ran into no such problems. The edges aren't even remotely sharp and the channels are only deep enough to give a solid grip.

Here's a few pictures side-by-side with the Knoxx forend:
Attachments
forend3.png
forend3.png (224.5 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
Forend2.png
Forend2.png (188.71 KiB) Viewed 6683 times
Forend1.png
Forend1.png (239.82 KiB) Viewed 6683 times

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:54 am

SharksFan wrote:Quite comfortable. Thought it might give the "cheese-grater" effect many talk about with uncovered rails, but ran into no such problems. The edges aren't even remotely sharp and the channels are only deep enough to give a solid grip.

Here's a few pictures side-by-side with the Knoxx forend:
Shark, thanks for the photos! Looks simply indestructible.