Is there a difference? Police Marine Magnum or Marine Magnum

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
sumyungguy

Is there a difference? Police Marine Magnum or Marine Magnum

Post by sumyungguy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but I thought I would appeal to this forum to help answer a question that I was not able to find from the Remington website or my local gun dealer that I purchased my Remington Marine Magnum (nickel plated).

So, everyone has a friend that knows everything and fortunately I have about three of them that tout themselves as gun enthusiasts / experts. I have the Marine Magnum but it only has a front bead sight on the barrel. When I google "Police Marine Magnum" the query brings up Marine Magnums with rifle sights both front and rear. Other than the distinguishing rifle sights, I'm also being told that the internal mechanisms are different on the Police Marine Magnum and heavy duty. Based on my understanding the Police Marine Magnum has a heavier magazine spring to ensure positive feed and function; a heavier sear spring; and heavier carrier dog spring to ensure the carrier elevates the shell. I also note that there are barrels available for sale with rifle sights already installed.

Simple questions - Is there a difference between a Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum and a Remington 870 Marine Magnum? If so, what are the differences or have I identified them above?

Thanks in advance.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Is there a difference? Police Marine Magnum or Marine Magnum

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:56 am

They're basically the same guns with different sights and the Police versions of 2 - 3 small parts just to tune a few things slightly differently. Mechanically, they're identical. This subject has been covered in detail in a number of other threads; I would suggest using our search function and reading though them. Feel free to ask if you still have specific questions after that.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 am

I’ll agree with Syncronizer. I’ve asked the exact same questions before when I bought my Marine Magnum two years ago. At the time of purchase I never realized that there were two versions. But after a lot of research their really isn’t a lot of differences. I choose the regular MM and got a really great price new from my dealer. Plus Remington had a great rebate alone with it. So I got it for just over $600.
The differences are the stock/forend. Mim vs machined extractor. Polymer vs aluminum trigger group. And bead vs rifle sights. As for fit and finish, I believe they are the same on both. The regular MM is super soomth and clean internally. No break in period required. Can’t imagine it getting much smoother.
In the end I swapped out the stock and forend for a Hogue set. Sold my old Remington stuff and broke even. Swapped out the extractor for a nickel machined version. They are cheap enough and easy to do this. Put a XS front bead on it. I could have bought the police marine barrel but decided that I wouldn’t be shooting lots of slugs so decided against it.

billt
New Shotgunner

Post by billt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 am

Lot's of differences, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2728

The Police grade of the Marine Magnum is Order # 25047. The standard Special Purpose Marine Magnum is Order # 25012.