Tac 14 weak ejection

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Dillenger77
New Shotgunner

Tac 14 weak ejection

Post by Dillenger77 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 pm

I have a brand new Tac 14 that has weak ejection. I cleaned and oiled before shooting. Ammo used was Winchester AA bird shot and Winchester 00 buck. Nothing stuck in the chamber. The hulls barley made it out of the receiver. Is there an easy fix for this? I also made sure I wasn't short stroking either. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Re: Tac 14 weak ejection

Post by John A. » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Without having the gun in hand, I would suspect with the parts being new, they probably just need worn in a little. Rough edges smoothed, burrs rounded off.

Also, despite being forceful enough to ensure you don't short stroke it, cycle it like you mean it.

Also, Winchester AA tend to swell when fired. I stopped using that crap years ago.

Try some federal or Remington shells.

The Remington STS handicap loads are great. Little recoil, smooth surface shells, reloadable umpteen times and usually only cost $7 something a box which is great for plinking shells.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Were you shooting Winchester AAs or Winchester Universals? In my experience the AAs are alright, though not the best, while the Universals are crap.

In any case, John A. is correct that the Remington STS target loads are amazingly well-functioning and reliable. You shouldn't have to stick to top-end ammo for an 870 to work, but it would probably be worth picking up just one or two boxes and running them through your gun. If ejection is still weak, you'll know for sure that it's not an ammo problem.

And yeah, be sure you're working the action with some authority. The 870's ejector works like the ejectors on Remington's semi-autos, so it likes the shell to have some speed when it hits it.

Dillenger77
New Shotgunner

Post by Dillenger77 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:51 am

I didn't have any problems tonight. I'll be getting reduced recoil 00 buck. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chuck jones

Post by chuck jones » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:24 pm

As someone else said it's probably just the parts wearing in.

Federal FLITECONTROL low recoil buckshot is very pleasant to shoot and shoots very tight patterns because of the wad design. It delivers a usable pattern at least 7 yards over any other buckshot.

I shot a ton of this at Gunsite from an open (non Vang-Comp) barrel and the instructors were impressed with how well it performed.

If you want some extra insurance against extraction problems you can always replace the stanard MIM extractor with the forged "police" extractor which is a standard Remington part available all over.

efriedrich
Active Shotgunner

Post by efriedrich » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:32 am

870's are legendary but not because of their ejection which can be weak, the harder you rack the better the ejection.