Metal used in new 870s

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
elstepho8

Metal used in new 870s

Post by elstepho8 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 pm

I am in the market for a shotgun and have heard many good things about the 870. I have read and seen there is a difference between the materials used in the 870. Comparing my brother's 870 express to the one at walmart, I can see that the newer ones are made from a lighter metal that does not seem as durable but lighter. My question is: Are these new guns going to last or am I better off finding an older model? I can see that the lighter metal would be good for handling the weapon but is this just another product of our disposable society? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Metal used in new 870s

Post by Vitaly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:58 am

elstepho8 wrote:I am in the market for a shotgun and have heard many good things about the 870. I have read and seen there is a difference between the materials used in the 870. Comparing my brother's 870 express to the one at walmart, I can see that the newer ones are made from a lighter metal that does not seem as durable but lighter. My question is: Are these new guns going to last or am I better off finding an older model? I can see that the lighter metal would be good for handling the weapon but is this just another product of our disposable society? Interested to hear your thoughts.
I have not heard about changes in materials which are used to build the 870. Receiver made of block of solid steel is one of the very important advantages of the Remington 870.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

badboybeeson
Moderator of the S&J Hardware Forum

Post by badboybeeson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:57 am

i dont think there is any changes that way, you may see a difference is fit and finish, if you talking an older express for the 90,s v today.
Its the same lump of steel used in all the 870,s the difference is the finishing and QC if your comparing a wingmaster,police to an express
bbb

RichNZ
Global Moderator

Post by RichNZ » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:11 am

Hadn't heard of any changes in metal, other than on small parts - like the older wingmasters having a metal trigger guard etc... Would be interested in hearing if they have changed.