New 870 Marine Magnum owner-now what?

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
paulsgs

Post by paulsgs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:47 am

Just added this to my collection, have been more of a rifle, vintage military collector but could not resist the silver/black on this. I'm going to use this as a home defense weapon. I thought I would start adding some farkles to it, like shell holder , what else,? Flashlight?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (958.88 KiB) Viewed 6745 times

nbk13nw
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: New 870 Marine Magnum owner-now what?

Post by nbk13nw » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:25 am

I would run some rounds thru it before mods. Find what you dont like and what may need some attention. Or what you want to add to just to make it yours.

paulsgs

Post by paulsgs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 pm

nbk13nw wrote:I would run some rounds thru it before mods. Find what you dont like and what may need some attention. Or what you want to add to just to make it yours.

Did a range shoot with 12 ga target loads, seems ok. This is going to be a HD gun so I thought I would start with a shell holder, I think detachable, keeping the shells within reach but not constantly on the gun itself. Also a larger safety sound good. I see aftermarket followers, what do I want that for if the gun is new ?

I'll take any other suggestions , but I'm not out to transform to a mean machine, just enough black to contrast the nickel

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:49 am

http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php ... cts_id=539
This is a really great package from S&J Hardware. Jumbo safety, detachable side saddle (definitely the way to go), and the upgraded follower. Upgrading the follower really isn't necessary but for the price of these three together, why not? You do a get a high visibility well-made piece to replace the rather flimsy one from Remington. Have I ever heard of an oem follower failing? Nope. Is this one clearly better? Yup.

I've got all of these parts on my 870P right now, have for quite a while, and I'm very happy with them. The elastic shell loops on the side saddle are incredibly durable and long-lasting. I keep shells in there 24/7 while the gun is on HD duty, and then I give the thing a good work out in competition a few times per year. The shell loops are just as tight as the day I got it. Big thumbs up for the jumbo safety, too. Much easier to use than the original, and Rem870 has a nice, easy-to-follow YouTube vid for the installation.

Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 am

paulsgs wrote:I see aftermarket followers, what do I want that for if the gun is new ?
If you're not a polymer-phobe, there's really no pressing need to upgrade the factory high-visibility follower, it works perfectly well for what it is. Remington uses the exact same part in their highest-end police and military models, and I've never heard of one actually failing.

Aftermarket followers can be more durable or lower-friction, but the factory follower isn't lacking in that regard. The main advantage with aftermarket followers is that the better ones have features that make it easier to tell by touch when the magazine is empty. That's the reason I use an S&J follower in my 870.
S&J Follower_C.JPG
S&J Follower_C.JPG (47.03 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
IMG_0710_cropped.JPG
IMG_0710_cropped.JPG (77.35 KiB) Viewed 6693 times

Rob62
New Shotgunner

Post by Rob62 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Congratulations on your new 870P. I am a huge fan of these guns.

As someone used to say on one of the other forums I hang out at; BA/UU/R - that stands for Buy Ammo, Use Up, Repeat. :lol:

The only things I add to my non 870's are 618 LED Surefire forend lights, a Wilson Jumbo Head Safety, and a Hi-Vis anti-bind shell follower. I am not a fan of side saddles - but admittedly that is a personal preference issue more than anything.

Regards,

Rob

GCT00427

Post by GCT00427 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Just consider yourself blessed. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 am

For HD what do you need ? A sling ? well if you need a gun do you want it in your hand or slung over your shoulder ? A sling can hang up on things like door knobs etc. Light is good better to not shoot family. But be careful lights and lasers give your position away. I'm not a fan of side saddle shell holders but even less a fan of running out of ammo. Nuff said. Of course an Avery shell bag works well also and holds more as does a shell belt. I believe the Marine model is the same gun as the police magnum with chrome metal and plastic furniture so it has up grades over the Wingmaster and express . I think the shell follower is one of them , you might check. Just look at a parts guide to see the different parts used.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:10 am

shootall wrote:I believe the Marine model is the same gun as the police magnum with chrome metal and plastic furniture so it has up grades over the Wingmaster and express . I think the shell follower is one of them , you might check. Just look at a parts guide to see the different parts used.
Most of the Marine Magnum's metallic internals (springs, bolt parts, TPA components, etc) are special parts with more corrosion-resistant finishes or materials, they're different from the standard parts used in other Police, Wingmaster, and Express 870s. Marine Magnums use the same furniture as similar Express models, and the metalwork is nickel-plated, not chromed. All 870s use the same follower.

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I'd encourage you to take some time and get to know your new SG before jumping in a making changes. Don't fall into the trap of throwing a bunch of 'glitter' onto a working gun that will actually impede performance of the roll that you want it to fulfill.

Sometimes less is more and the money spent on 'improvements' may be better spent on ammo, practice and classes.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.