Scored another used 870 today

General discussion about Remington 870 shotgun.
Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Scored another used 870 today

Post by Bastard File » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:21 am

Factory black synthetic furniture with the sling stud molded into the butt stock...long forend and butt stock factor "cobble" textured(first furniture like this I've owned on an 870). 26" vent rib with 2 choke tubes...factory Rem-Choke modified and some other extra full ported extended turkey choke. Overall excellent condition with basic surface rust on the reciever which cleaned right up.The barrel needs a good oiled steel wool cleaning. Plan on getting an 18-1/2" rifle sight barrel(because I don't have one)...Scattergun +1 extension...jumbo safety and calling it good. Certainly worth the $150 I gave for it IMO.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Scored another used 870 today

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:55 am

Nice find. Are you looking specifically for a barrel with factory rifle sights, or have you considered finding a basic barrel and having rifle sights added to it?

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:56 am

I have several barrels, including 3 18" police barrels with bead front. I have 3 870's with 20" rifle sight barrels installed. Several of my other 870's have had the vent ribbed barrels cut to different lengths. Think I'm wanting a factory matte blue short rifle sight barrel with Tritium sights.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Well, I know of two factory 18.5" barrels that come with tritium rifle sights, one with a fixed IC choke, the other with a fixed Modified. They're Parkerized, not blued, though.

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:24 am

Actually, Remington parkerizing is essentially the same finish as what comes on the current 870's...like the matte black finish on the Express. Years ago the Remington OD green parkerizing was much closer to real parkerizing than what can be had today.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:56 am

They look similar, and both are conversion coatings, but they're completely different chemically. Bluing forms a layer of black iron oxide, while Parkerizing forms a layer of metal phosphate (different metals can be used, I'm not sure what Remington uses). I have both matte blued and Parkerized parts for my 870, and there's a slight, but noticeable difference in appearance between the two finishes.
870 finishes.PNG
870 finishes.PNG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 9402 times

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:23 am

Synchronizor

More than likely what I'll do is have my gunsmith refinish one of my older 18" green police bead front sight barrels to match the rough matte finish on the receiver of this most recent 870. I discovered I had a spare unused Scattergun Trijicon ghost ring sight set that I'll have him install. While at it I'll have the forcing cone lengthened and threaded for choke tubes. I'll certainly be into the barrel work and sight installation far cheaper than a new barrel. The extended synthetic forearm is much to my liking the more I handle and manipulate it. I'll spray foam fill the buttstock as I always do to eliminate the hollow sound. The molded in buttstock sling stud is also kind of neat if it holds up. I use a two point sling when doing transition drills and have found that works best for my needs. I don't keep slings on my HD shotguns as they can get caught on things like door knobs and furniture. I do keep one however in my essentials bags for all my shotguns in the event I have to exit my home and need both hands free transition from long gun to handgun and vice versa. A great deal of time is spent with my several HD/SHTF shotguns. A two point sling also does not allow any of my 870's to interfere with my carried or slung Springfield M1A if it has to go with me as well!:-)

sw-punisher
New Shotgunner

Post by sw-punisher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 pm

nice find for 150.00

Bastard File
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bastard File » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 am

Update:

Picked up the 870 from my gunsmith Friday. He refinished the older police bead front sight barrel to match the receiver. Installed Scattergun Technologies ghost ring sights...jumbo safety...lengthened forcing cone...installed screw in choke. I added a Scattergun +1 extension, spring and follower as well. All that's left is waiting on a custom leather 6-round lace on buttstock shell carrier from Rowe's Leather. I had them make a couple for me in black for my synthetic stocked 870's.